Saturday, January 10, 2009

Saturday Workout, January 10, 2009

PUSH UPS
Targets: chest, triceps, shoulders, abdominals and back


Lie facedown on the floor with your hands flat, slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, fingers poinintg forward. Push your bodyweight off the floor by squeezing your chest and straightening your elbows, keeping your abs tight and body in a straight line, supported on your hands and toes (or knees). Bend your elbows and lower your body until your elbows form 90-degree angles and point out to the sides. Don't allow your chest to touch the floor or your baby. Pause, then contract your chest and push back up. Cindi is doing the harder version on her toes, you can start on your knees if you are beginner.

QUADRAPED
Targets: core muscles, abdominals and back stabilizers

Begin on hands and knees. Hands are placed directly under shoulders and knees directly under hips. Slowly extend right arm and left leg. Hold for 3 seconds then switch to the opposite side.

PLANK
Targets: abdominals and back


Place hands directly under shoulders, extend legs straight and lift body up into a straight plank position. Hold for 30 seconds while keeping the abdominals in tight (drawing the belly button in towards your spine). If this is too difficult start on your knees, remember to keep your body in a straight line.

AIRPLANE
Targets: lower abdominals and back


Lie on your back with legs in a table top position. Slowly extend legs out 4-6" while drawing the belly button in towards your spine. Bring legs back to starting position and repeat. Focus on keeping core abdominals engaged and ensuring the transverse muscle does not "pooch out".

Modification shown: Moms who have been attending Baby Boot Camp Level 1 for a minimum of 8 weeks and have reduced any Diastasis to two fingers or less can perform this exercise with the child on their shins for an additional degree of difficulty.

Avory loved performing exercises with her mommy. Cindy started Baby Boot Camp as soon as she was cleared by her physician after having her daughter Avory (now 5 m), she also has a son Bradford (20 m). We have started slowly with just a few exercises and walking. Now Cindy runs and does push ups on her toes. I am very proud of her and impressed with her achievements in every class.
Here is what Cindy says about Baby Boot Camp:
"My Dr. ordered me to lose my pregnancy weight for my health and I knew it would be hard especially since I've never been athletic. I have had a great fun with Baby Boot Camp and meeting other moms, I have lost 15 lbs and counting. My pre-pregnancy clothes fit again just after 3.5 months and I am strongest I've ever been in my life making hauling my 2 kids around a cinch! My hubby says it's worth every penny! And I feel good about myself which is priceless to me. "

No comments: